John D Hearon, a remarkable man.

The snow started falling over the Texas Panhandle on 1st February 1956. Within hours it would herald one of the worst blizzards in American history as snow fell for four straight days over Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico; by the time it began to thaw, at least eighteen people and hundreds of cattle were dead. The little town of Vega bore the brunt of the storm, recording a staggering 61 inches of snow, but everywhere was affected. But life had to, somehow, go on and that meant Route 66 had to keep rolling.

If the road was open for business, then so were the companies that used it, among them the bus line, Continental Trailways. At 5.30am, John D Hearon, 38, pulled his Vista-Liner out of Amarillo, heading to Tucumcari. He knew that the conditions were dire, having already done a run in the opposite direction, arriving in Amarillo two hours behind schedule. There are varying estimates as to how passengers he had on board for that return trip – contemporary accounts state between 14 and 35 (although the lower figure is probably the correct one) but all agree that among the passengers was 21-month-old Patricia Henderson, travelling with her mother, Ruth.

Ohio company Flxible built just 208 Vista-Liners between 1954 and 1958. Continental Trailways purchased 126 of them and it was one of these buses John Hearon was driving on the Amarillo-Tucumcari run.

All was well until around 9am when, John Hearon related; “I was going about 25 miles an hour when I hit this drift in a deep cut. Snow was about waist high and we couldn’t move the bus. No-one got excited, though. We had about a half tank of fuel, so there was no immediate worry about heat. We figured we’d just sit tight until help arrived.” But more than five hours passed with not a single vehicle in sight – the blizzard had closed down Route 66 and even snow clearing machinery couldn’t get through – and Mr Hearon started to worry that the bus was running low on fuel. Once that ran out, the bus would become a freezing metal box – and possibly a tomb. The only food on the bus was two sandwiches which the passengers gave to the little girl. Mr Hearon decided that he had to go for help. Norris Turner, a passenger from Houston, offered to go with him, but Mr Hearon urged him to stay behind and help keep up the morale of the other passengers. John Hearon opened the door and set off into the storm.


Plainview, to the south of Amarillo, at the end of the five-day storm.

Adrian was the closest town, but John Hearon realised that he would be walking uphill and into the freezing wind and blowing snow, so he headed west for Glenrio. He was wearing only his bus driver’s uniform of low cut shoes, unlined gloves, woollen trousers and a light regulation jacket and within minutes he had to return to the bus to find a piece of cloth to wind around his head to protect his ears and neck. Then he set off again, finding his way by the telephone poles along the now hidden road, often slipping and falling. He came across a couple stranded in their car who tried to persuade him to seek refuge with them, but Mr Hearon was adamant his passengers, especially the little girl, needed help and he pushed on.

The Brownlee Diner rallied around to feed the stranded bus passengers.

He would later tell John Phillips of the Reader’s Digest, “About nine o’clock my eyes felt strange. There was a beacon north of Glenrio I’d been using as a guide, but suddenly I stopped seeing it … my right eye had gone blind.” Not long after, his left eye began to cloud up as he began to succumb to snow blindness. Slapping his face to keep himself awake, he finally saw distant spots of light just after 10pm; he had been pushing himself forward for hours with thoughts of steaming hot coffee and he passed Joseph Brownlee’s gas station, stumbling towards the diner next door. But his strength finally failed him and he fell to his knees in the snow. He managed to whistle a couple of times and this saved his life. A young man in the diner heard him and found him in the dark, dragging him into the gas station. Joe Brownlee said; “He looked nearly dead. His face was blue, his eyes closed, his lips swollen. I’ve never seen anyone look like that.

The Brownlee gas station where John Heardon was taken when he reached Glenrio.

John Hearon had staggered through the storm for almost nine hours. Frostbitten and snowblind, he could barely speak, but he managed to tell his rescuers exactly where the bus was, how many passengers were on it, how long they had been without food and how much gas had been in the tank when he left. Joe Brownlee loaded up his Power Wagon with food and blankets and, putting chains on the wheels, fought his way to the bus, arriving at 2am. Thanks to John Hearon’s incredible bravery, everyone was well and in good spirits and the engine was still running, although they were no doubt pleased to see Joe Brownlee. Over several trips, all the passengers were ferried back to the diner where the town donated food for all of them.

Mr Hearon spent just four days in hospital. After six more days at home, he resumed his Tucumcari-Amarillo route. His courage was recognised with an all-expenses paid holiday to Treasure Island in Florida (Continental Trailways let him have the extra week off, which was mighty big of it) where he was feted and presented with an engraved medallion and his wife, Winnie, with an orchid and a pendant. Other gifts were a little odder; as well as money, the town of Sudan, Texas, presented him with a bale of cotton.

However, there was no long happy ending for John Hearon. On 12th March 1965 he passed away from pneumonia while suffering from lung cancer. He was just 47 years old. But to his four children, the oldest of whom was just 12 when he died, to the passengers of that bus and to the people of Glenrio he was and always will be a hero.

The diner (the place was built to resemble a Valentine Diner) and the idea of steaming hot coffee kept John Hearon going during his courageous trek.






    • My first paying job was at that little diner when I was just 14 years old. That was the summer before the blizzard, which I remember well. I grew up at San Jon and Daddy ran a tow truck service from the Texas state line to the eastern city limit of Tucumcari on the Mother Road. When the blizzard hit, he spent night and day pulling big rigs, busses and tourists out of snow banks. School was closed, of course, so the community opened up the gym and provided an abundance of food, cots, and bedding for the stranded travellers. Many people opened their homes for families with elders and small children. Many longtime friendships were forged during this time. I was only 5’2″, but I could stand in a wheel rut and the snow came up to my chest!

      Liked by 1 person

  1. My friend lives on Adrian. He can tell lots of stories about the blizzard and the one in 1957.
    He was nine then and remembers this. They were farmers. He remembers how awful it was! Thanks for sharing!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I am the daughter of Joe Brownlee and now the owner of the property in Glenrio you have written about. It was a good story and contained a couple of facts I never knew such as the identity of the baby on board. I do want to correct one little detail that is a thorn in my side every time I see it. The Diner is not nor was it ever the Little Juarez cafe. It was always simply the Diner. My mom had the little Mexican and Little Juarez painted on one side of the sign when the building was operated briefly as a curio shop selling a lot of items from Mexico.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. I am glad to see this story of my father republished. He was a great man.
    There are a couple of typos on his name.
    He name was John D Hearon.

    John D Hearon Jr

    Liked by 1 person

  4. What a wonderful story! My tears where freezing up with his. What a gem ehy? The empathy he had for the survival of the few, his sense of duty, wonderful. Thank you for sharing a vignette of history I would never have encountered otherwise.


  5. I happen to be a local resident of the Endee/glenrio area myself. My grandmother and grandfather(Mccoys) and mother all worked for the Ehresmans in Glenrio for many years. They were friends of Mr. Joe Brownlee as well as Roxanne Travis (btw hello Roxanne long time no see!!!) As I’m 40 years old I didn’t have firsthand experience with the ever famous winter of ’56, but my grandmother loved telling true stories of the horrible storm spoke about here. The power wagon Mr Brownlee had -busted threw many snowdrifts that winter storm, not just stranded motorists but locals needing checked on and food handed out as needed. This was a great man that probably never needed any recognition for his helping of people- strangers and locals that winter and I just wanted to add to ur story and say my grandmother refered to Mr Brownlee as a Saint when she told us kids the story’s of that 56 storm and how Mr Brownlee was the only one that was mobile during this storm and helped the comunity, not just this busload of travelers….,………


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s